• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Destroy All Humans. They Can't Be Regenerated. A Magic: The Gathering Man

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I don't play much MTG these days, but this series is super charming and fun.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
A Magic The Gathering playing manga series? Interesting!
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
David Evelyn, Translator of Undead Unluck and Kaiju No. 8, announced on twitter that he will be translating the manga (https://twitter.com/shinhoroko/status/1786200944772014454). Brandon Bovia (Letterer for Kaiju No. 8) also announced that he will be the Letterer for the series "from volume 2 onwards" (https://twitter.com/brandonbovia/status/1786201528975401392).

David's skill in preserving/adapting references, demonstrated by his work in Undead Unluck, combined with his existing knowledge of TCGs and 90s Nerd/Otaku culture, has me very excited for the quality of the translation.

Assuming the English release will use the same promo cards as the Japanese release, Volume 1 will come with a copy of "Diabolic Edict", featuring the original Ron Spencer art from the Tempest expansion set depicting Greven il-Vec throwing Vhati il-Dal off the bridge of the Rathi/Phyrexian skyship "Predator", but using the modern card frame (edit: Actually it would be in the M15 frame. I briefly forgot that in MTG the term "modern card frame" specifically refers to the card frame style used by cards released between July 2003 & July 2014).

Here's hoping that a) The exact foiling process they decide to go with for the promos doesn't suck. b) People don't steal the promo cards by ripping them out of copies on the shelf to scalp on line.
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Nice. read a few chapters like 6 months ago and was like this is good so nice that it is getting an official realese. and ouch my wallet (i have a rule that i only read stuff pirated stuff if it has no offical translation, but i will then buy it if if gets an official release)
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:08 pm Reply with quote
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:
Here's hoping that a) The exact foiling process they decide to go with for the promos doesn't suck. b) People don't steal the promo cards by ripping them out of copies on the shelf to scalp on line.

Don't underestimate viz as they used to provide yugioh cards with physical releases of english shonen jump magazine or for those who bought the yearly subs for the digital version before they discontinued both the magazine and the cards like eight years ago. so while they haven't been in the game in years, viz will probably be doing the english translation (if not already translated) and wizards will be printing said cards. Can't steal the promo cards if its shrinked wrapped with the manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This is exciting news! I've been recommending this to coworkers (youth librarians) and with an official release, we may be able to recommend it to library patrons.

I've never played MTG but as a Yu-Gi-Oh player, the manga really covered the card game scene (locals, deckbuilding, playing meta, etc.) well. This shouldn't be a surprised since YGO is inspired by MTG itself.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:55 pm Reply with quote
dragonquiz wrote:
so while they haven't been in the game in years, viz will probably be doing the english translation (if not already translated) and wizards will be printing said cards.

I legitimately don't understand what you mean by this. MTG is an English card game that just also has a Japanese translation done by Wizards of the Coast's Japanese Office (who also make the Duel Masters Trading Card Game in conjunction with Takara Tomy). The rules text for all the cards are originally in English. What would there be for Viz to translate for the promo cards?
<('_')^

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:24 pm Reply with quote
If only they'd make a manga/anime based on MTG lore. Would kill for a full Phyrexia Saga adaptation.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the title of this series before (Destroy All Humans. They Can't Be Regenerated), but didn't realize it was about MTG! I figured it was some dark fantasy or something Laughing
ExplodingPrinny

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I've seen the title of this series before (Destroy All Humans. They Can't Be Regenerated), but didn't realize it was about MTG! I figured it was some dark fantasy or something Laughing

It sure sounds like it.

Might be better to order online, so the card isn't missing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1