• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the smell of a fresh new Demon Slayer flame war containment zone.
KayWhy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
hashira training is one of my favorite arcs from the manga, mostly because its light, fun, and sprinkles in some nice character moments throughout. praying they dont butcher the pacing for this one

also love or hate the character, but hiro shimono is probably having the time of his life playing zenitsu lmao
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I genuinely believe that the prologue of Demon Slayers entering a mystic castle felt more like a Castlevania anime than the actual Castlevania cartoon has felt since Season 2. Just give the lead a whip instead of a katana and you might as well have it be a Belmont entering the Demon Castle to hunt Dracula.

This season though, it definitely feels like it's going to be more character focused than action focused, which I get considering Zenitsu and Inousuke were out of focus last season in a major way.

I didn't think of it that way, but now that you say it - yes, that was what I kind of expected from a castlevania anime. Maybe a bit more crosses and holy water. Then again, I have no real love for the Netflix show.

First episode here was fun and enjoyable - but I have to admit I don't like the tease of what is to come if they make me wait another year for the final arcs. No spoilers from me, but I know where we are going and this arc is far too short to be a real season. That castle scene was as someone else said likely a metaphor for how we the audience will feel if just this arc is this season (and it appears that is the case).

I heard a rumor that they might delve into some additional side story material (I assume as flashbacks). That would help.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:29 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
It's called The Calm before the Storm. Light-hearted down time before shit hit the fan. I also like how KnY deal with it history and info dump. It showed that the knowledge had been lost over the age that they can only go with the spotty information that they can gather from experience or old notes, trying to recreate the effect throught guessing. Other shounen would just dump all the necessary info onto you while Kny keep it vague.

It also allows for convenient new power ups whenever they are needed.

My only criticism of the episode is it featured too much Tanjiro doing the dragonball over eating gag. That was old the first time they did it.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why but I was half-expecting the 2 Hashiras to get trapped inside the mugen castle like that was supposedly the plan - lure them into the demons Hideout to get crushed. I thought it could've been an interesting angle to take but alas just the premise of the arc alrdy made me aware that it was not to be.

I'm also leaning towards the side that views that double-length premiere as kinda a waste. I honestly would've been fine if they just treated it as a normal length episode. For a double length premiere, they really needed to hit me with a strong hook to get me invested but it just wasn't there... I'd argue that even swordsmith village arc's double length premiere is better as the introduction of the upper moons was a lot more interesting than this meeting with the Hashiras. The jokes, again miss more than they hit but I supposed that's standard for this series.

It also bothers me that every single other corps member are just generic NPC faces that you know won't ever matter at all when the battles happen. Im hoping they take this time to introduce a few more Corps members with actual potential & not just be meatshields but the series seems more interested in the Hashiras & the alrdy established cast.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Zenitsu was as annoying as expected, but Nezuko shutting him down like that almost makes it worth it Laughing
zaenzcampbaesa1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't a reviewer be somewhat impartial to be making a series of reviews about a show? Why is this person with a clear personal bias distaste for the characters and the storytelling of the series in charge of making the reviews? There are pacing problems with this season premiere, but from the characters there's nothing new that we haven't seen. Zennitsu being obnoxious was the same as it was in season 1 or 2.

Probably the biggest critique about this premiere could be the tone shift between serious moments and comedic gags, but it seems the reviewer is waiting for moments to dislike about this series to keep calling it a popcorn spectacle with little objectivity.

This person is most likely not going to give an impartial review of this show from now on, he's already set his mind that this series is simply mindless flare.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:35 pm Reply with quote
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
Shouldn't a reviewer be somewhat impartial to be making a series of reviews about a show? Why is this person with a clear personal bias distaste for the characters and the storytelling of the series in charge of making the reviews? There are pacing problems with this season premiere, but from the characters there's nothing new that we haven't seen. Zennitsu being obnoxious was the same as it was in season 1 or 2.

Probably the biggest critique about this premiere could be the tone shift between serious moments and comedic gags, but it seems the reviewer is waiting for moments to dislike about this series to keep calling it a popcorn spectacle with little objectivity.

This person is most likely not going to give an impartial review of this show from now on, he's already set his mind that this series is simply mindless flare.

New to reviews? Personality and personal opinion are all part and parcel of a review. Do not take his views as a personal attack on your own enjoyment. They are simply the expression of a columnist in reaction to the piece of media he is reviewing. Now James is often quite expressive and emotional in his writing, that is often what makes his writing stand out.

Impartial judgement would just be a rating of the technical aspects of the show. By expressing his opinion and also entertaining us James allows us to see his perspective, and come up with our own in disagreement or agreement. As many people have in this forum.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:38 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:

New to reviews? Personality and personal opinion are all part and parcel of a review. Do not take his views as a personal attack on your own enjoyment. They are simply the expression of a columnist in reaction to the piece of media he is reviewing. Now James is often quite expressive and emotional in his writing, that is often what makes his writing stand out.

Impartial judgement would just be a rating of the technical aspects of the show. By expressing his opinion and also entertaining us James allows us to see his perspective, and come up with our own in disagreement or agreement. As many people have in this forum.

I mean, the poster is not wrong - DS is clearly not his cup of tea. The "review" reads more like a rant. I get that a review is just an opinion and all that, but we came out of the gate strong on this one. If the poster is new to this anime's particular reviewer, they may be confused why someone who obviously dislikes the show despite the star ratings (I always felt that if James was being honest he'd rate it lower) is bothering to watch it at all. Or he secretly enjoys it perhaps and is just trolling us? I dunno.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 1:56 am Reply with quote
^

I think it's more than fair to write a review of a 3 star show that accentuates its flaws and failings (in the reviewer's eye). There's no such thing as an objectively perfect piece of art and I think it's very important for everyone, not just people reviewing things for a job, to maintain a critical eye and recognize flaws on even shows that are good. If every review were just glowing praise, there'd be no point in them. There's a thousand other sites and Youtube videos out there to get those takes.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 1:58 am Reply with quote
We could get bogged down in arguing over the standards of reviews but having been through such things quite a few times in these forums, it just comes down to whether you liked or dislike his opinions and style. James doesnt have beef with the show, he has a history of reviewing the show and expresses frustration in an entertaining way.

As far as standards go ANN recognises that reviews are opinion pieces, and encourages it reviewers to show their personality as long as it does not enter the realms of offensive, insulting or derogatory.

Demand for a review to have a different opinion just means you would prefer a different reviewer.

It is much more constructive to say what you think is good and even to construct an argument for why to praise certain segments.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 2:13 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
We could get bogged down in arguing over the standards of reviews but having been through such things quite a few times in these forums, it just comes down to whether you liked or dislike his opinions and style. James doesnt have beef with the show, he has a history of reviewing the show and expresses frustration in an entertaining way.

As far as standards go ANN recognises that reviews are opinion pieces, and encourages it reviewers to show their personality as long as it does not enter the realms of offensive, insulting or derogatory.

Demand for a review to have a different opinion just means you would prefer a different reviewer.

It is much more constructive to say what you think is good and even to construct an argument for why to praise certain segments.

I don't think anybody demanded anything. I certainly haven't. I just don't know why he wants to watch - which is more than ever true after reading this. It sounded like he really dislikes what he is seeing. And going back through the thread, I think he even admitted he would rate some episodes even lower which doesn't shock me.

It's like asking me to review the 3rd season of Black Clover. I did not like the 1st. I think by season 3 I would hate myself.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 3:40 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Yay James is back with his ruminations about Demon Slayer!

The world has been put to rights. Razz Razz Razz

This season is looking to be 7 or 8 epsidoes
4 volumes have been announced
3 x 7150 and 1 x 8250 which makes it look around that mark.

Training Arc is exactly 8 chapters of manga - thats it. The shortest there is.

The 64 million dollar question we have right now is how is this season going to play out.

1) Exactly 1 chapter per episode
2) More than 1 chapter per per episode but bits of anime filler to fill it out
3) What I'm personally hoping for (spoiler tags)
spoiler[ The arc ends with Muzan showing up at the mansion to "pay his respects" - what happens afterwards is all hell breaks out and a big battle - there is one part where Muzan basically opens up trap doors underneath everyones feet and rops them in to the Infinity Castle]

I'm personally hoping for 3) and they don't milk these chapters at the 1 chapeter per episode level as the way the arc ends is just well anti climax ?. My suggestion for 3) would be as someone on twitter put it a great UFO Table troll in light of what comes immediately after what I describe.

Opening heavily hints at 3), which was the most likely scenario from the get go. I really don't get why some people were so adamant on the arc adapting only 9 chapters. To me it made complete sense that they would go with 3). Afterwards there are still 66 chapters to adapt, and the more they take out before, the easier for hopefully 26 episodes and not 3-4 movies.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 am Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
gumbaloom wrote:
Yay James is back with his ruminations about Demon Slayer!

The world has been put to rights. Razz Razz Razz

This season is looking to be 7 or 8 epsidoes
4 volumes have been announced
3 x 7150 and 1 x 8250 which makes it look around that mark.

Training Arc is exactly 8 chapters of manga - thats it. The shortest there is.

The 64 million dollar question we have right now is how is this season going to play out.

1) Exactly 1 chapter per episode
2) More than 1 chapter per per episode but bits of anime filler to fill it out
3) What I'm personally hoping for (spoiler tags)
spoiler[ The arc ends with Muzan showing up at the mansion to "pay his respects" - what happens afterwards is all hell breaks out and a big battle - there is one part where Muzan basically opens up trap doors underneath everyones feet and rops them in to the Infinity Castle]

I'm personally hoping for 3) and they don't milk these chapters at the 1 chapeter per episode level as the way the arc ends is just well anti climax ?. My suggestion for 3) would be as someone on twitter put it a great UFO Table troll in light of what comes immediately after what I describe.

Opening heavily hints at 3), which was the most likely scenario from the get go. I really don't get why some people were so adamant on the arc adapting only 9 chapters. To me it made complete sense that they would go with 3). Afterwards there are still 66 chapters to adapt, and the more they take out before, the easier for hopefully 26 episodes and not 3-4 movies.

Agreed - it would at least give the arc some "closure" of a big battle to end with.

If they go strictly according to the manga it would be pretty lame.

Previous arcs have been known to have a bit of overlap on occasion so I hope that this is the case this time.

Not to mention I'm REALLY hoping UFOTable trolls the fandom with a big cliffhander to end the series and making people wait a year to find out what happens next.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I mean, the poster is not wrong - DS is clearly not his cup of tea. The "review" reads more like a rant. I get that a review is just an opinion and all that, but we came out of the gate strong on this one. If the poster is new to this anime's particular reviewer, they may be confused why someone who obviously dislikes the show despite the star ratings (I always felt that if James was being honest he'd rate it lower) is bothering to watch it at all. Or he secretly enjoys it perhaps and is just trolling us? I dunno.

Look, I've explained this before, but just in case it bears repeating:

I don't hate the show, obviously. If I really didn't want to review it, I wouldn't be covering it. I don't think it's perfect, by any means, and I don't think the show has been at its absolute strongest since its very first season, but the only time I've ever had a downright frustrating/"bad" time with DS was during the Swordsmith Village arc.

So far as the tedency for my criticisms to take center stage in the reviews, that simply boils down to the fact that the ways in which DS is good are, by this point, fairly predictable and not especially complicated. It has (for the most part) excellent production values, it has some cool characters, and when it manages to strike the right balance between melodrama and spectacle, the show can cook.

Conversely, the show's deficiencies are rather boring but frustratingly consistent issues. It is terrible at exposition, its comedy is very hit-or-miss, and it's capacity for long-form storytelling grows diminished by the season. None of these things are enough to make the show bad (except for maybe the Swordsmith Village Arc), but they are going to be the things that I focus on as a critic when the show isn't making it easy to overlook those flaws with a bunch of flashy-sparky-boom-boom.

Point being, while I don't hate the show by any stretch of the imagination, its flaws have become much harder to ignore as the series has gotten long in the tooth, and I have to find creative and interesting new ways to write about them until the season decides to stop dragging its feet and gets to the fun stuff.

Also, I will say that it is true that, for the most part, I think Demon Slayer mostly functions as exciting popcorn spectacle. Everything else about its character writing and world building ranges from perfectly fine to downright puzzling. I've never found anything to outright hate about DS' writing, though.

Except for Zenitsu. He's legitimately the worst. If he were a real person, I would advocate that he be exiled St. Helena and forced to live out the rest of his days with nothing but a Nezuko doll made out of coconuts and palm leaves for company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5