• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are your favorite Video Games?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorThor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
Europa Universalis III and IV

Warcraft II and III

Heroes of Might and Magic III and IV

Legacy of Kain series

Max Payne 1 and 2

Civilization I, IV and V

Need for Speed Underground

Prince of Persia Warrior Within and 2008

Doom 2016

Quake II and III

Unreal Tournament 2004

Assassin's Creed 1 and may be 2

GTA Vice City and IV

Half Life 2

Diablo II

World of Warcraft may be

I wrote about some of them in detail on my blog.
Otaku Joey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Mario, shantae, resident evil, street fighter, and my favorite visual novels are between higurashi and umineko.
Flash33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, we'd be here all day if I listed all my favorite video games, but I'll try to narrow it down to a few.

Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (PC): While not my first NFS game (that would be The Need For Speed, aka NFS1) it is one of my all-time favorites in the franchise. I spent so many hours in it racing on all its tracks and pulling drivers over as the cops. My favorite car is the El Nino (and its spiritual successor in the La Nina from High Stakes), with the Lamborghini Diablo SV in second and the Ferrari F1 Spider in third.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja 4: I grew up watching Naruto on Cartoon Network, and my first Naruto VG was Clash of Ninja 2 for the GCN. While I never owned CoN1 (only briefly played it at Gamestop) I have owned and played all the NA released Ultimate Ninja games, of which 4 is my favorite of the 4. While sure it's only a 2 player game as opposed to CoNs 4 the huge roster of characters and customizable jutsus (yes Naruto could use Chidori and Sasuke could use Rasengan) made it so much fun to play. I also enjoyed the UN4 exclusive story as well.

Pokemon Conquest: I grew up watching the anime (my mom didn't want me watching it or Yuigoh, saying they were too violent) with one of the earliest I remember being Ash Vs. Drake in the Orange Islands arc. While the first Pokemon game I played was technically Stadium 1 (a doctors office I went to had a Stadium 1 stand or whatever you call it set up) the first one I owned was Platinum that I got from Blockbuster. I got Conquest years later from Gamestop and it's one of my favorites in the series due to its unique gameplay and fun characters. Though I've yet to 100% it (still need Armaldo & the one Anorith I have can't evolve into it) I still come back to it occasionally and play through some of the stories again.

Super Smash Bros.: I love Smash and have played all the games in the series multiple times. I started with Melee, was at Gamestop for the midnight launch of Brawl, got 64 on Wii Virtual Console then later got 4 (with the music CD) and Ultimate. Funnily enough my dad tried to get me to wait to just get Brawl instead of Melee when I saw it in GS but I convinced him to get Melee for me instead. My first matchup in Melee's training mode was Pikachu vs. CPU Link on Princess Peach's Castle and my first Pokeball Pokemon was Porygon2, while Meta Knight on Battlefield were my first choices in Brawl. I thank Smash for introducing me to so many characters and series I might have never known about otherwise, such as Metroid, Earthbound, Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem and The Legend of Zelda and for just being a fun series to play in general.

Fusion Fall: The first game I beta tested, Fusion Fall was a fun MMO with so much stuff to do and areas to explore. Starting in the Future which is falling apart due to Lord Fuse controlling most of the world, your goal is to build a time machine to travel back to the Past and hopefully stop Fuse before he destroys the world. The game places a heavy emphasis on combat (which is real-time) and platforming, and you'll have to get good at both to succeed. Did I mention that the game is set in the Cartoon Network universe with older CN characters and that almost all VAs reprised their roles for the game? Speaking of which throughout the game you'll fight Fusion versions of CN characters, which upon defeat often give you Nanos, mini versions of CN characters that give you a special power you can use, though most have a CD period & only 3 Nanos can be taken at a time. Though the MMO has long shut down you can still play on fan servers today.

Wizard101: Kingsisle Entertainments first MMO, this takes place in the Spiral, with multiple different unique worlds to explore and characters to meet from the Kroks and Manders of Egypt inspired Krokotopia (feat. characters like Krokopatra, Hetch Al-Dim & Alhazred) to the Dogs and Cats of England inspired Marleybone (which feature characters such as Jacques the Scratcher, Sherlock Bones and Meowiarty) to even the samoorai, goats and ninja pigs of Japan-inspired Mooshu (feat. chars such as Emperor Yoshihito, Nomoonaga and Warlord Katsumori). You're a student from a far off world enrolling at the Ravenwood School of Magical Arts in Wizard City. Before you've even enrolled however the former Death professor Malistaire Drake returns to cause trouble, and though you're able to drive his Draconian minions off Headmaster Merle Ambrose can't help but wonder what brought him back. The game has 7 schools to play as: Fire (DoT focused with ok health & accuracy (second lowest)), Ice (low dmg but high health & defense), Storm (glass cannon), Myth (minions & stuns), Death (lifesteal), Life (healing) and Balance (jack of all trades). The game also has full voice acting, a rarity considering the games been around since 06. While the free trial is limited to only a few WC areas you can either get a subscription or pay as you go with Crowns (using Crowns to buy an area unlocks it forever on that account).

Combat is turn based where up to 4 players (8 in pvp for 4v4s) take turns drawing spell cards from their deck and using them on yourself or your foes until all foes reach 0 health. To use spells you need both mana and pips (power points), with higher rank spells costing more of both. Eventually you gain the ability to get power pips, with 1 counting as 2 normal pips for your main school. Spells include Helephant, Firecat, Triton, Wooly Mammoth, Hydra, Minotaur, Orthrus, Dryad, Centaur, Skeletal Pirate and Vampire. If the main story's not your thing there's a ton of side activities to do such as Fishing, Gardening, PvP, House Decorating and Monstrology (capturing monster animus to use in battle or as a house guest).

Pirate101: The second game I beta tested & KIs second MMO (that is also still active today). Set in the Spiral like W101, you are an orphan who has been captured by The Armada, clockwork soldiers that'll stop at nothing to reach their goal. After escaping from the spymaster Deacon with help from Boochbeard & Mr. Gandry, you're taken to Skull Island to meet with Captain Avery, who will let you stay there in exchange for helping him out with some issues, such as retrieving a Jade Amulet stolen by the Cutthroat Pirate Fin Dorsal (cutthroats are anthropomorphic sharks in this game) and dealing with the Troggies (frog-like creatures) attacking SI. Like with W101 the game has full voice acting and also features unique classes: Witchdoctor (low hp but high damage w/ AoEs, DoTs, summons & debuffs), Privateer (high hp & def and tons of buffs), Musketeer (long range snipers and area controllers with bombs and traps), Buccaneer (front-line fighters that can also debuff targets) & Swashbuckler (glass cannons who can hide in shadows & then strike with hard hitting moves, bleeds and poisons). It also features up to 4-player PvE and PvP.

Unlike W101 the game places a heavy emphasis on Companions, recruitable characters you encounter along the way and who you can control in combat. The game is turn-based grid-based combat taking place on different Battleboards whose layouts vary depending on location with some even having things like exploding barrels or breakable barricades. Each companion has their own strengths and weaknesses, with some (such as Troggies & Batacudas) having the ability to jump or fly over normally impassible terrain. Some companions are also class exclusive, for example the Crokagator companion is for WD only, though if you really want them you could always buy them in the Crowns Shop after completing the quest to unlock them. Also at the end of combat everyone in the fight gets the same exact rewards. Also you travel from location to location on your pirate ship via the Skyways, which all feature Windlanes (locations safe from harm).

Traveling to other worlds requires going through a Stormgate, which is only possible via a corresponding Windstone. Though some travelled to worlds are the same as in Wizard101 (Mooshu & Marelybone) the locations traveled to are completely different as are the characters you meet & issues you deal with. There's also new worlds as well such as Monquista (feat. Monquistans (small monkeys) with big egos & royal & church factions), Skull Island and Aquila (themed around Greek mythology with its Eagle, Cyclops & Ophidian inhabitants).

While a W101 sub won't carry over, the same account & its Crown balance will, meaning making a second KI account isn't required to play both games (if you played W101 on Steam first then sadly disregard this fact). It follows the same business model as W101. While there's not as much to do side content wise due to W101 getting more attention (the current P101 team is small), there's still things like house decorating, PvP & pet battles.

Fun fact: Jason Liebrecht, an English VA, voices characters in both 101 games.

Ape Escape Pumped & Primed: A spin-off of the Ape Escape series (which I also like) P&P follows the AE1 cast (and their returning VAs) as they enter the Gadget Tech Tournament for fun. Since it's in a virtual world injuries aren't a worry. It's not all fun and games though as Specter (main AE villain) appears to cause trouble again and who you face multiple times in boss fights, and there's also a mysterious entity known only as Grid Core that appears partway through the game to turn the Gadget Tech Tournament into the Virus Tech Tournament, taking place on corrupted versions of normal stages.

While the story mode is 1-2 players multiplayer mode is 1-4 and the game overall is a blast to play. As is AE tradition the game makes full use of the Playstation's Dual Analog control scheme, where left analog controls movement, right controls gadgets, face buttons toggle through gadgets & shoulders control camera and jumping. It sounds overwhelming but it's actually quite simple and works well. Each stage has its own objective and theme, from a race to the finish to a last man standing free-for-all to coin collecting. There's also many characters to play as such as Spike, Natalie and the Professor to newcomers Helga and Pipotron. For the team characters Pipotron and Team Monkey after you select a character for a stage you can't select them again until you've used all members, and each member has their own properties that make them unique. For example, Tron Yellow and Pipo Black fire more Slingshot bullets, Tron and Pipo Blue move faster with the Dash Hoop and Pipo Cyan's RC car moves faster+gives bonus points when he places. In addition, each character/team has special moves they can use depending on what gadget combo they use, such as Spikes Hurricane Crush (Dragonfly+Stun Club combo that does an upward spinning multi-hit attack on nearby foes) or summoning a support monkey by using a non-unique combo.

There are unlockables as well, which are given based on fulfilling certain requirements on story mode stages, such as finish in X time or get Y amount of coins. These can range from costumes, support monkeys and even elemental weapons (change the property of your weapon). Often these are given through the Monkey Fan Club, letters you receive from fans such as Bruce Monkee or Monkey Pink of AE2s Freaky Monkey Five. There's also 2 unlockable characters, though they can only be played in Vs. Mode. Who are they exactly? Play the game and find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3