• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied. I think I knwo why they are called 'Vectors'!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
well what the vectors could do is leave behind a trace of RNA in the nucleus and cause the creation of Histine Proteins on the RER.

as well as coding for an enzyme to remove other existing Histines.

Then it could using the new histines essentially reqrite the order of bases and thus create completely different codons and thus amino acid chains.

but that wouldn't give the host the ability to pass on its genes unless they naturally had all of the necessary bases in the same general locus.

they could also work by attacking the sperms cells and the egg cells themselves, the DNA could(I dont know how though) find a way down into the sex organs and implant its own DNA over that of the existing cells thus rewriting the egg and sperms cells DNA
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
well what the vectors could do is leave behind a trace of RNA in the nucleus and cause the creation of Histine Proteins on the RER.

as well as coding for an enzyme to remove other existing Histines.

Then it could using the new histines essentially reqrite the order of bases and thus create completely different codons and thus amino acid chains.

but that wouldn't give the host the ability to pass on its genes unless they naturally had all of the necessary bases in the same general locus.

they could also work by attacking the sperms cells and the egg cells themselves, the DNA could(I don't know how though) find a way down into the sex organs and implant its own DNA over that of the existing cells thus rewriting the egg and sperms cells DNA

^^;; Are you working/majoring in biology/molecular biology or just pulling this from the internet?

First of all, that's not how vectors work. I'll get into more detail later, but I need to finish up something else first.

Secondly, you can't just "rewrite" DNA like that. You can only delete part of DNA, change a few nucleotides, or add a few nucleotides. You can't just throw in some "histines" (a histine is an amino acid, not a protein. Histines don't have the power to rewrite DNA sequences, nor can they create new amino acid chains. However, if you were to induce a change in the DNA through one of many available types of mutations, you COULD code for different amino acids-- and make histines where there weren't any before, but that's going far from what you were talking about.) and expect the DNA to magically rewrite itself.

Assuming you're using human blastocysts, you wouldn't even need something to "rewrite" sperm or egg DNA. If you were going to skip straight to that stage, one would assume that you would just use cloning techniques, so you'd only have to deal with one cell rather than two. You'd only need one transgenic cell to transplant into an empty blastocyst, hope it takes, and wham, see what happens. (I say "Wham," but we're talking a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG process with hundreds/thousands of failed attempts before you get something that works.)

Anyway, vectors are more than just a name given to "the agent used to transfer DNA into a viable cell." First of all, that "viable cell" has to be a prokaryotic cell, most likely yeast or bacteria. Secondly, it's more than just throwing some magical substance into a cell and watching it mutate. A vector is a chromosome (usually circular-- which means it exists in phages and plasmids, and NOT human cells) that carries a foreign DNA segment.

It's possible that your theory about the name holds true and it's more symbolic than anything else (A diclonius as a being that carries foreign DNA), and they thought that "Vector" sounded cooler than "Chimera 1, Chimera 2" or "Transgenic 1, Transgenic 2," but I'm just arguing that all of your explanations are whack. ;p
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
a histine is an amino acid, not a protein. Histines don't have the power to rewrite DNA sequences, nor can they create new amino acid chains.

I think hentai4me wanted to type histone protein, an essential DNA-associated protein family. Plus, the animo acid is histidine, not "histine."

SakechanBD wrote:
First of all, that "viable cell" has to be a prokaryotic cell, most likely yeast or bacteria.

Ahem. Twisted Evil Be more careful, 'kay? There are also adenoviral vectors for ~100% transfection efficiency specifically for mammalian cells -- way much better than electroporation and liposome-based trasfection, but you have to culture them with HEK293 first, then purify it from media. Good thing you are preparing Bio instead of BCMB for GRE Subject....

Last edited by dormcat on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
a histine is an amino acid, not a protein. Histines don't have the power to rewrite DNA sequences, nor can they create new amino acid chains.

I think hentai4me wanted to type histone protein, an essential DNA-associated protein family. Plus, the animo acid is histidine, not "histine."

SakechanBD wrote:
First of all, that "viable cell" has to be a prokaryotic cell, most likely yeast or bacteria.

Ahem. Twisted Evil Be more careful, 'kay? Good thing you are preparing Bio instead of BCMB for GRE Subject....

DOH. You're right on both accounts. Haha, cut me some slack. Very Happy I wrote that all at 3AM. Scratch out the yeast and the entire histine part and my post still stands.

[ Smile And here I was hoping that dormcat would skip by my post because if anyone was going to catch my 3AM slip-ups, it would've been him...]
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
majoring in biology?

not a chance...

pulling off the net? I'm not that lazy...

no I am taking A-Level biology via the open university because I am bored at work(seriously I actually sit in my office and read from the text books...) so my knowledge is rudimentary at best.

I'm not going to argue with you guys who seem to know much more than I do but the original idea of this thread was the reason behind the names, whihc no one had yet refuted, but then it was hijacked to a discussion of how they do it, so I thought I'd join in.

using HitOne(thanks for that) proteins you can obscure certain uneeded parts of the DNA strand and using certain restriction endonuclease enzymes you can cut the DNA.

what the vectors could do is place their new RNA/DNA what ever sequence into an already formed sperm or egg cell which produces the histones to completely block the original cells DNA and then use their own to replace it.

or

obscuring parts of the orginal DNA, cutting and then rearranging the DNA using Ligase enzymes and REE to essentially re order the DNA and thus re order codons and so forth.

now yes this would take us a huge amount of attempts and resources to do(and may not even work...remember this is only A-Level where the general method is outlined none of the details) but the diclonius could work perfectly as they 1. have to for the story and 2. are special telekinetic arms.

feel free to correct me as chances are I am dead worng.

p.s: off topic but hey its my thread...
why does Adenine ONLY bond with Thymines and Guanine ONLY with Cytosine(lets ignore uracil for the moment please) I know its something to do with Pyrimidines and Purines creating the correct distance between the DNA strands(or not but I'd imagine so as other wise the helix wouldnt work) but why only guanine go to cytosine rather than thymine and cytosine as you'd still get the required 3 rings distance?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

why does Adenine ONLY bond with Thymines and Guanine ONLY with Cytosine(lets ignore uracil for the moment please) I know its something to do with Pyrimidines and Purines creating the correct distance between the DNA strands(or not but I'd imagine so as other wise the helix wouldnt work) but why only guanine go to cytosine rather than thymine and cytosine as you'd still get the required 3 rings distance?

You're right, there is a requirement that the pyrimidine and purines need to create the correct distance, but the reason behind A-T and C-G bonds is at the molecular level.

The magic that keeps pyrs and purs together is hydrogen bonding. Each pyridine must have the same number of hydrogen bonding sites as its complementary purine. In the case of A and T, there are two hydrogen bonding sites between them. With C and G, there are three.

If you get bored, check out the molecular structures for A/T and C/G, and you'll see the areas where the hydrogen bonds take place.

Very Happy I commend you for taking a biology class just for fun. It's not often that people will choose education as a cure for ennui, and IMO, that makes you a better person than the average joe who will just spend their time playing video games all day.

As for the original purpose of this thread, I think it's definitely a great theory. If I, or any of the folks at ANN, ever get a chance to interview the creator or director, we'll be sure to ask them. Now I'm curious if your theory is correct or not. Very Happy
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

You're right, there is a requirement that the pyrimidine and purines need to create the correct distance, but the reason behind A-T and C-G bonds is at the molecular level.

The magic that keeps pyrs and purs together is hydrogen bonding. Each pyridine must have the same number of hydrogen bonding sites as its complementary purine. In the case of A and T, there are two hydrogen bonding sites between them. With C and G, there are three.

If you get bored, check out the molecular structures for A/T and C/G, and you'll see the areas where the hydrogen bonds take place.

Very Happy I commend you for taking a biology class just for fun. It's not often that people will choose education as a cure for ennui, and IMO, that makes you a better person than the average joe who will just spend their time playing video games all day.

As for the original purpose of this thread, I think it's definitely a great theory. If I, or any of the folks at ANN, ever get a chance to interview the creator or director, we'll be sure to ask them. Now I'm curious if your theory is correct or not. Very Happy

My brain hurts.

So hentai is saying that the Vectors rewrite DNA when they come into contanct with it? O.o

(I don't know much about this stuff yet, thats all next semester stuff.)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

You're right, it isn't common to see this - in the general population. Among the geek subculture, however, it seems to be as much the rule as the exception. Quite a number of people that I know have chosen random courses in their spare time, as a cure for boredom ("I'm bored. Bored, bored, bored... Hmm. Think I'll learn Serbo-Croatian.")

In fact, that's what got me started on learning Japanese, originally. A bit over a decade ago, I had some spare time and I was bored - so I took some courses at the local business college. I chose Japanese because of a pre-existing interest in Japanese history, culture and film - but it could have been any one of a dozen other subjects. I'm still thinking of supplementing my degree with a couple of BAs on the side, when I find the spare time. Never hurts.

So hentai4me is really just "acting out his inner geek", so to speak. Welcome to the club. Smile

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
It's mostly basic Cell Biology he probabally learned it in high school like I did.

1. It's more about genetics than cell biology.

2. I've only browsed through a US high school biology book once when I was in US. If I remember correctly, those concepts above were not taught in high school biology but in college biology (e.g. "general biology" for freshman). More details will be taught in genetics, if one wants to get into the field.

What state were you in? High-schools in each state when I was in high-school seem to have different ways of teaching. In my second high-school two years ago that was items I learned in Biology. So, it might of been the text-book you looked through and the state you were at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

You're right, it isn't common to see this - in the general population. Among the geek subculture, however, it seems to be as much the rule as the exception. Quite a number of people that I know have chosen random courses in their spare time, as a cure for boredom ("I'm bored. Bored, bored, bored... Hmm. Think I'll learn Serbo-Croatian.")

In fact, that's what got me started on learning Japanese, originally. A bit over a decade ago, I had some spare time and I was bored - so I took some courses at the local business college. I chose Japanese because of a pre-existing interest in Japanese history, culture and film - but it could have been any one of a dozen other subjects. I'm still thinking of supplementing my degree with a couple of BAs on the side, when I find the spare time. Never hurts.

So hentai4me is really just "acting out his inner geek", so to speak. Welcome to the club. Smile

- abunai

thats 2 clubs with me as a member now.

inner geek and mile high...heheheh.

now shall we try to get vaguely back on topic?

anyone have any differing ideas as to the name 'vectors'? or will it suffice until we get confirmation?
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but it's kinda on topic. Will there be a second season of Elfen Lied? Because I was told the manga continues from where the anime stopped.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
there is an extra episode which I believe is only available via fansubs at the moment but might become available later on legally.

and as far as I know the manga is untranslated so unless you can read japanese you'll need scanlations.

no real info on a second series(though I'd launch a one man rally to make it so)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
there is an extra episode which I believe is only available via fansubs at the moment but might become available later on legally.

Or you could (GASP!) buy the Japanese DVD edition...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. I've only browsed through a US high school biology book once when I was in US. If I remember correctly, those concepts above were not taught in high school biology but in college biology (e.g. "general biology" for freshman). More details will be taught in genetics, if one wants to get into the field.

The course I took in high school in 10th grade had a great teacher and focused heavily on cell Biology of both the animal and plant varieties as well as basic genetics. Learning about DNA, RNA, chromosomal pairs, and prediction of what genetic traits would be passed down to a child such as hair and eye color and how. The disections were interesting as well. While not all of what you said I fully grasped but we did learn enough for me follow along without any "huh?" moments. I'm a walking talking Dictionary/Encyclopedia though, as I read a lot and have a large volcabulary.

Facinating stuff, I was considering becomming a Marine Biologist at one point for a career unfortunately I would probabally have to move away from Minnesota for that job for the kinds of animals I'd be interested in studying and math is a prerequisite for the courses in my college and I completely suck at it so it would be quite difficult for me in that area. I'm still thinking about it, however, I was also considering going for Radiological or X-Ray Technician since those are in high demand and make good money. I'm currently, going for my Degree in Web Development though since I wanted to attend college and making websites was something I wanted to learn how to do. I am really not liking it as a career choice though which is why I was considering some of my other interests. After all I don't want to work in grocery store for the rest of my life.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
marine biology is something I really wanted to do too when I was younger.

but now I am merely an electrician.

shame really.

and abunai, yes you could get the Japanese version but I dont have a Japanese DVD player or know how to read/speak Japanese so I'd not get far.

(are Japanese DVD players the same as English or American ones, in region and so forth as I have both english and american ones?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3