• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Because the 1st one was also an exposition one. It's all exposition, and no reasons to care.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This is a 2 cour series. I don't really mind if the first few episodes are exposition since there are so many terms.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda funny that the main issue with most light novel adaptions is that they're too rushed, but this one is taking it pretty slow. I wouldn't fault anyone for finding it dull. It might be best to wait for episodes to pile up and watch it in bulk.

It's always satisfying to see some entitled jerkass discover what the floor tastes like.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
...... So you want this to be a rushed anime or something? What is wrong with the 2nd episode being an exposition one? Jeez you just can't please everyone.

No, I want a competently written story that fits exposition in between the character building and plot development. Instead the show is nothing but non-stop exposition, either involving a lot of made-up terms that don't mean a thing to the audience, or explaining things anyone who's ever watched anime already understands -- why do I need a five minute explanation of how the Student Council is organized? The plot only kicks in when the writers realize they need something interesting to happen before the credits role.

I hated SAO, but that's Shakespeare compared to this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
It actually could have been a lot worse. The novels are stuffed with explanations about every little thing and a lot of that has been omitted so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Not quite seeing the complaints, well I see it as lots of exposition but that does not seem like that much of an issue. I am reminded somewhat of Tokyo Ravens, although I will need to have a look at how a whole arc plays out. One thing I dislike is when a series will suddenly throw out new terms mid series about things they should all already know, so getting some exposition now and getting a feel for what is normal seems important.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not getting anything from this series that makes sense and the way the show is presented tells me it's intentional. Episode 2 ends spoiler[ with a duel that everyone saw coming and the outcome was inevitable as rain falling down but why the hell spend a minute on the loser's plan of action ] if you don't have time to explain the outcome?

The brother-sister pairing: Everyone sees it, the guy is parodying it and no on, no one, has a clue how to react to it. The best they can do is "Well, that didn't happen. Moving on..." otherwise, we'd have a grasp on the situation rather than the classic "Yes, no, maybe?" situation than can be strung out for volumes on end.

This is giving me a strange vibe of Oreimo meets Infinite Stratos.

Oh hell. Well, that explains the f***** budget. 26 episodes of this? I can't believe I'm going to say this but at least Ichika from IS had a personality right from the start.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Because Ichika and Chifuyu were not in love, right?
I am trying to imply sarcasm because looked to be the one he consistently held the most affection for.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
spoiler[...but why the hell spend a minute on the loser's plan of action ] if you don't have time to explain the outcome?

Oh, don't worry. I'm sure the first 5-10 minutes of the next episode will explain how cool the protagonist is in exhaustive detail.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
I'd be more impressed if it can be summed up in a single sentence like "spoiler[I flipped his spell around and bitchslapped him in midair]".
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
I checked out the first volume and there's an endorsement from the author of SAO at the end of it. So rest assured people, it is Kawahara-approved, it must be good. Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Because Ichika and Chifuyu were not in love, right?
I am trying to imply sarcasm because looked to be the one he consistently held the most affection for.

Actually, the feeling I get from Irregular that reminds me of IS has nothing to do with the romance but its "Academy of warriors where the one out of place is not what he seems" setting {A LN favorite!}. I'm sure Irregular will explain why our MC is both weak {in magic. Where it counts!} and strong {There's a certain flaw in this show's premise and it already has me rolling my eyes} more than IS explained why Ichika not only could do what was denied to the rest of his sex but how he could do it so strongly right from the start. But IS didn't care about the "why" while Irregular looks like it will be part of the plot.

Making the Blooms disapproving of the lead threw me off at first but, of course it's only the male ones as the female Blooms are quite approving. For even less reason here. I can get behind being the sole male at a girl's school with a harem but with one incident, our stoic, Low Class hero already has a posse of at least five girls ... not counting his sister. And only one of them is his equal rank, though she does sit next to him.

It's better than having all of the Blooms partake in class warfare? Maybe but why does the Student Council President decide to do something about it now? "You know, having the Blooms exclusively rule over the Weeds may be a bad precedent ... for those of us in the past who realized that active magic users are more powerful than passive ones and created this system in the first place. But with your help, we could turn this around. As long as you are more powerful than the ones in power" which negates the whole foundation of the active magic system in the first place? And has no one understood the idea of "squishy wizard" in this world?

The realization that your opponent can disrupt spell casting or fight not using magic has never come up in previous magic classes? Ever? And episode one had the "not ninjas" ninjas and the idea of killing the wizard through such means has never came up? "Offing the wizard" should have been the next stage in the Arms Race, not training more wizards for war.

Right, this "secret organization" is probably going to be part of the plot but having the classist Bloom not aware of his own magical limitations against Weeds spoiler[when dueling one of them one on one?] And then dwelling on it like his pride is his undoing?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
This is a hard title to defend because a lot of answers to questions are major spoilers. I guess all I can say is that it's like one of those situations in chess/go/etc where a seemingly bad move turns into a great one later.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
this doesn't seem to be any worse than Horizon's first four episodes, same day, 4 different perspectives, massive amounts of exposition. I ended up enjoying that quite a bit, so I'm going to stick with this and see where it goes. they share the same director, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with this
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
The school uniforms here are just so pretty. I'm a big fan of those silky slip things the girls have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 34